Continuing and welfare (combined) power of attorney

If you are in Scotland, use this document to appoint another person to look after your financial affairs and personal welfare (i.e. your health and social affairs). Your attorney can either take up the financial power immediately or, if you choose, not until 2 doctors certify that you are incapable of making these decisions for yourself. The welfare part of this power of attorney will only come into effect with this doctor certification.

Note that once you've created your power of attorney, you will need to register it with the Public Guardian. They will charge a fee to do this.

Get started

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.