Change of name deed for a minor

You can use this to change the name of your child (i.e. someone under the age of 18) by deed poll. The child must be a British or Commonwealth citizen who lives permanently in the UK.

To use this, you need to have parental responsibility for the child. If there is another person who also has parental responsibility, they must agree to the name change. You can't use it if there are 2 or more other people with parental responsibility.

Note that although you can use this to create a valid deed poll, it's not suitable if you plan to enrol (i.e. register) it with the Royal Courts of Justice. Enrolment often isn't necessary, but may be in some situations.

If your child is aged 16 or over, they must agree to the change of name by signing in both their new and old names. Note that if they're 16 or 17 and are (or have been) married or in a civil partnership, you'll no longer have parental responsibility for them.

Get started

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.