Probate application form (PA1A and PA1P)

When a person dies leaving behind an estate, which can include a house or a flat, as well as money, shares and personal possessions, you'll usually need to apply to the Probate Registry to get a Grant of Representation before you can deal with the assets of the deceased's estate. This means that you can't, for example, sell their house or get money from bank accounts until a grant has been issued.

If an Inheritance Tax account/return is required, you'll need to complete this before completing this form, as certain of the figures will need to be copied from the tax account/return to this form. If an Inheritance Tax account/return is not required, you'll still need to include in this form certain values for the estate of the person who has died. You can get these by using HMRC's Inheritance Tax checker.

Use this product to apply for the grant. It includes forms PA1A and PA1P; it will select the correct form for you according to your circumstances. Note that you can only use this to make an application for a grant in England or Wales.

Get started

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.