Deed of variation of share of joint property passing by survivorship

If you owned a share of joint property with another person who has passed away leaving you their share of the property in addition to your own, you can use this deed of variation to give this inherited share to another person. It may be that you have no need for the inheritance, but have some other family member or friend who could benefit from a share of the property. A redirection of the inheritance may also achieve savings in tax. Please note that this document can only be used in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Get started

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.